What medications are safe to take during pregnancy?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
Which drug should be avoided in pregnancy?
10 OTC drugs to avoid during pregnancy
|Drug||Found in||Possible alternative|
|Ibuprofen||Advil, Motrin||Tylenol (acetaminophen)|
|Nicotine||Cigarettes and all other forms of tobacco; Nicorette gum; Nicoderm CQ patches||None|
How can prescription medicine harm your baby during pregnancy?
Prescription drugs can cause the following problems and complications during pregnancy: Contraction of the uterus which can affect the blood supply to the baby or cause preterm labor and birth. Interference with normal prenatal development that can lead to birth defects or fetal demise.
Is coffee OK during pregnancy?
Studies show that getting more than 150–200 milligrams (about 1–2 cups of coffee) of caffeine a day during pregnancy may not be healthy. High amounts of caffeine during pregnancy has been linked to problems with a baby’s growth and development.
Which painkiller is best in pregnancy?
- Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen, a nonsalicylate similar to aspirin in analgesic potency, has demonstrated efficacy and apparent safety at all stages of pregnancy in standard therapeutic doses. …
- Aspirin. …
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. …
Is it compulsory to take medicine during pregnancy?
You need a prescription (an order from your provider) to get the medicine. Many pregnant women (about 7 in 10 or 70 percent) take at least one prescription drug during pregnancy. For example, you may need a medicine to treat a health condition, like diabetes, depression or high blood pressure.
Can being scared harm unborn baby?
Other researchers have found that high stress levels can result in premature birth and low birth weight, and even lead to allergies and asthma later in life. Find out ways to cope with anxiety and depression and stress during pregnancy.