During pregnancy, swelling in your hands is caused by a build up of fluid (oedema) in the tissues. Some of this fluid can collect in the carpal tunnel, placing pressure on the median nerve, compressing it and causing tingling and numbness in your hands and fingers.
Is numbness in fingers normal during pregnancy?
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the hands are common during pregnancy, especially in the last trimester. These problems are usually caused by carpal tunnel syndrome, and they usually go away after pregnancy.
How can I prevent my hands from falling asleep during pregnancy?
Try not to sleep on your hands, and use a pillow to prop up your arms at night. Get the blood flowing. Shake your hands and wrists out frequently. At night, hang your hand over the side of the bed and shake it.
What happens to your fingers when you are pregnant?
During pregnancy, your blood volume doubles. That extra fluid increases pressure and swelling in the blood vessels throughout your body. In tight spaces such as the carpal tunnel area of the wrist – through which nine tendons and one nerve pass – the swelling can compress the median nerve, which runs to the hand.
Is numbness during pregnancy normal?
As your uterus grows, it may press on the nerves in your legs. This may cause some numbness and tingling (feeling of pins and needles) in your legs and toes. This is normal and will go away after you give birth (it may take a few weeks to months). You may also have numbness or tingling in your fingers and hands.
How should you sleep with carpal tunnel?
How Should You Sleep With Carpal Tunnel?
- Avoid bending your arms while you sleep.
- Wear a Night Wrist Splint.
- Support your Arms.
- Keep Hands Warm.
- Avoid Sleeping on Your Side.
- Shake Out Your Hands.
- Apply Pressure to Wrists.
- Take OTC Anti- Inflammatory.
What were your first signs of preeclampsia?
- Excess protein in your urine (proteinuria) or additional signs of kidney problems.
- Severe headaches.
- Changes in vision, including temporary loss of vision, blurred vision or light sensitivity.
- Upper abdominal pain, usually under your ribs on the right side.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Decreased urine output.
How can I relieve numbness in my hands?
Treating hand numbness
- Exercise. Exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome can help improve your symptoms and increase your strength if you also have muscle weakness. …
- Over-the-counter pain medications. …
- Splints or wrist guards. …
- Topical treatments. …
- Vitamin B-12. …
- Antidepressants. …
- Antiseizure medications. …
What are some bad signs during pregnancy?
Warning Signs During Pregnancy
- Bleeding or leaking fluid from the vagina.
- Blurry or impaired vision.
- Unusual or severe stomach pain or backaches.
- Frequent, severe, and/or constant headaches.
- Contractions, where your stomach muscles tighten, before 37 weeks that happen every 10 minutes or more often.
When should I be concerned about swollen hands during pregnancy?
If you experience sudden or gradually worsening swelling in your face, around your eyes, or in your hands accompanied by high blood pressure, call your doctor immediately. This could be a symptom of preeclampsia, which requires immediate treatment to protect you and baby.